Monday, October 11, 2010

Afrikaanse Wiegelied

2007

A Smorgasbord Of Tongues

I have learnt French songs de l'amour
and sang a song of heartbreak everywhere I ran
while funny German Lieder
were so much fun and made me laugh
and when I first heard Dalida
sing I love 'aHib in al-Harabiy
I was delighted by the guttural greatness
of such sexy sounds

But most of all I am enthralled
by my own mother tongue: Afrikaans
now that I am free to choose
which words I would like to use
I find the greatest words of all
is Langenhoven's Lullaby for Liefstetjie

Today I know exactly why I adore
the language I had heard before
I found a smorgasbord of tongues
that can confound and confuse,
bewitch and bemuse - and fill my head
and heart with sonorous sounds galore

No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...