Monday, October 4, 2010

Helping a Teenager

Went to visit Nici in her sauna of a room
she is writing an essay on eternal war and
its possible end for school tomorrow - to
help a teenager is almost impossible

When I offer ideas she rephrases in the
long-winded way of the very young who
has not yet learnt to cut through to the
essence in the straight sanitary lines

Of our bureaucracy’s inimitable style, she
has the Reader’s Digest Encyclopaedia in
her room but claims it is used for pressing
flowers only, when I tried to look up dates

Of World Wars One and Two to illustrate her
claims, I found the brightly illustrated book
useless – perfect for flower-pressing and
nothing else, we had to use the Internet

She asked me to hide her Anime because she
cannot tear herself away to start on her home-
work early in the day; I know how it feels, I also
battle to tear myself away from poetry

Earlier today I learnt that Tiaan’s school made
them study plays on suicide, characters taking
ant poison - I ask you, what is the elevating
aspect in that - afterwards pupils hate

Literature with a passion…

No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...