Friday, October 22, 2010

Warmth And Delight

Tiaan came home with a yearbook
glossy, big, as thick as a telephone
directory, his smiling face next to his
prize-winning essay

No photograph next to his science project
if only they had made it less glamorous, more
legible, I would have been able to read without
pain – shiny A4 pages

I am so proud of that smiling face, the story of
murder and revenge that he cooked up - made
me think of my own matric essay, repeating the
themes I loved so much

And my matric speech; did not prepare - simply told
my teacher about my love for Russia and all the
dreams I cherished about it – today I still fear
the smallness of reality, the cold

Seeking warmth and delight in dreams - like I did
when I was small…

1 comment:

Kate Sparrow said...

I have yearbooks somewhere, but I don't know where they are... yes, Russia is a fascinating place, though I have never been there. I did study a few years of Russian language. It's difficult, but a beautiful language too.

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...