Thursday, May 14, 2009

Everything Is Officially Uncertain

I’ve got a nasty, sneaky suspicion that
administration is creeping up on me,
suddenly the production sheet is due
in the middle of the month and Jane is
compiling hers industriously while I let
my eyes go out of focus when they alight
inadvertently on a bureaucratic form,
because I fear the contamination of red-
tape stupidity where every i is dotted,
every t is crossed and the main content
is total stuff and nonsense; telling all of
us how to sit, how to work, how to think,
how to eat, how to keel over and die
without making a sound, without giving
a cry; I prefer reading Prachett’s description
of quantum interference – there are two
presents running side by side - making the
wrong choices will take us to the wrong
future, therefore it is incumbent upon me,
the secret-agent official, to take note of
Quantum Uncertainty before the two
presents snap together again, luckily
everything is Officially Uncertain…

Terry Pratchett “Night Watch” Doubleday, 2002
pp. 78, 79

No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...