Friday, July 9, 2010

Spiritual Need

*
Having discovered a place which makes chicken
mayonnaise sandwiches in brown and white, I went
to investigate and found the food so good, I wanted
it again, food intolerance simply thrown to the wind

Now my burning skin in this overheated room once
again indicates fever and discomfort, a chocolate to
take the pain away made my eyes go out of focus
the list of my woes can go on and on, my back sore

After feasting on a rack of ribs, if only I could stop
eating, given my system’s inability to process food
life would be so easy – but to me food is more than
nourishment, it is a plaster, bandage, medicine

And nurse-maid, it stands in for everything I cannot
master or obtain, I laugh about diet pills, suppressing
appetite – I have a spiritual need that cannot thrive
on what we are given to feed our thoughts

The only alternative on which my soul can live, albeit
superficially, is food, glorious food, the sweeter, the
better, the larger the quantity, the more commendable
the only thing that stops me from eating till I burst

Is when my rations’ finished - and allergy of course
I was born allergic to stop me from committing
spiritual suicide with my teeth!
*

No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...