Monday, July 26, 2010

Strange Godly Beings

*

With the beauty of beads in my eyes to keep my
spirit strong and my heart warm, I continued reading
“The oldest of the Kurus, Duryodhana, his brother
Duhshasana, the foundling Karna, and Shakuni,
Brother of Queen Gandhari, and their mother Kunti…”

I had to stop, the story was lost, all my mind retained
were the names, singing a song: “Duryodhana and
Duhshasana, Karna and Shakuni, Gandhari and
Kunti” – after writing them down in wonderment
I continued reading: “Vidura warned them

They went to Viranavata; Duryodhana called his spy
Purochana… We must escape, said Arjuna, Not yet,
said Yudhishthira…” I read and read, and could not
imagine Charlotte Bronte or Jane Austen ever reading
the Mahabharata, and when it was said

That Draupadi, daughter of King Drapuda would marry
five men, five husbands she would have, I gave up; this
must be another reference to celestial phenomena to do
with Precession, no Princess could ever survive such
a life, a timid Jane Eyre and a lively

Elizabeth Bennet could only ever love a Rochester and
a Darcy Fitzwilliam - neither my favourite authors nor I
can visualize the grandeur of these epic loves of gods
and demons, Draupadi stepped from the sacrificial
hearth – a sign that she is a symbolical being

I need time to assimilate all these facts before
continuing with the fates of these strange
godly beings…
*

No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...