Sunday, August 15, 2010

Another Family Tradition

When grandma Alice sent me the videos with
classical music you were amused because I
fell asleep listening to them, when Nici was
a baby unable to sleep I played these videos
at night hoping for the same soporific effect,
many a night I spent with her on the carpet
falling asleep myself

Tonight she played those videos again because
she loves the music on them, The Pearl Fishers
by Bizet, and I am surprised, never realized she
would remember the music I played to her then,
I wish Grandma knew how much her gift meant
to Nici and me, but if it is true that her mind is
still alive she already knows

Nici wants to transfer the videos to DVD’s, she
claims she wants to play it to her children one
day, I am gratified, a family tradition has come
about; today we prepared dinner, after using
the Santoku knife you washed it yourself, not
allowing your women to risk our fingers with
it, another family tradition

Yet another of our traditions is when Nici
sees me with something strange, she always
interrogates – What Have You Done? – this
time I explained that the white bow around
my neck was to off-set the black top inhe-
rited from her dad when he burnt a hole
in the back

She rolled her eyes - one of our traditions also,
whether I string dewdrop beads on cobwebs or
wear funny clothes, she just rolls her eyes and
declares she does not want to know more…

No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...