Sunday, August 16, 2009

Dad’s Wondering Childhood Eyes

I regress when I am with my dad, start
to talk and act like a three-year old, when
going to the shops with him I want every
toy I see, everything in the shop windows
suddenly looks wonderful, every angel
looks more saintly, every fairy more exotic
shiny plastic beads and coloured Alice
bands appear irresistible again, colouring
pencils and notebooks exude an indes-
cribable charm, his presence changes
the shops into Aladdin’s caves, full of
miracles and wonders, I keep looking
for a doll to become my best friend, a
train set with which to make imaginary
voyages

When dad with his wondering childhood
eyes looks upon the big, wonderful world
his sense of joy and strange innocence
is quite delightful, when I say goodbye
and return home again, this three-year old
me is put to bed and left to rest out of sight
until I see my dad again – it is a miracle to
still have my dad aged eighty-one, I shall
send a letter to him mentioning how I ap-
preciate his presence in my life, allowing
me to re-experience my childhood every time
we meet; no wonder it is so difficult re-
lating to him in a group where I am playing
a grown-up role while underneath my three-
year old soul is seething!

17 August 2009

No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...