Saturday, September 12, 2009

As He Croons I Will Swoon

I admit guilt, I would much rather look
at models, mannequins, American film
stars and beautiful people in magazines
than the man – or woman – in the street

Paging through hubby’s magazine ‘The
Home Handyman’ starting from the back
where Rod Baker’s article on a ‘doddery
old coffin-dodger’* is illustrated with

Photos of ordinary people, not models or
mannequins, I am ashamed to admit that
people look awful without makeup, air-
brushing and subterfuge, I’m sure

I would have gone for surgery if hubby did
not so assiduously insist that he loves me
but he understands the female spirit, as
long as he croons I will swoon

I believe him implicitly and defer visits
to beauticians, I think he knows this, his
sweet compliments keep me from running
to moneymongers to fix face and body

Most people will admit it is a feast for the
eyes to look on Brad Pitt and Chuck
Bartovsky, Michele Pfeifer, Sandra
Bullock – hubby loves them

As long as he loves me also, I shall not
have my face fixed – but -
I am watching him!


‘The Home Handyman’ Projects / Home
Improvements / Expert Advice
Your DIY magazine
September 2009 – Vol 16 No 9
Article ‘Back-to-back’ Rod Baker p64
Quote * ‘A Doddery Old Coffin-Dodger’

3 comments:

matt at shadow of iris said...

"I admit guilt, I would much rather look at models, mannequins, American film
stars and beautiful people in magazines than the man – or woman – in the street"

Say it isn't so. Ordinary people are *so* much more beautiful. Commercial images are like comparing a paper cup to one crafted carefully out of clay by hand.

Exhibit one:
http://www.javapackaging.ca/media/ccp0/cat/paper_cups.jpg

Exhibit two:
http://mononoaware.concretebadger.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/wabi-sabi-tea-bowl.jpg


"Hollywood has all the personality of a paper cup." - Raymond Chandler

Margaret Alice said...

Matt said: "Say it isn't so. Ordinary people are *so* much more beautiful. Commercial images are like comparing a paper cup to one crafted carefully out of clay by hand."
Have you seen ordinary people who did not protect their soul and face from bitterness versus a person who contemplated joy like a nun, priest or ... movie actor? It makes all the difference - NOT the beauty treatments, but the beautiful thoughts - and THAT is what the actors and nuns share in common....

matt at shadow of iris said...

Just in terms of visual appearance, the most beautiful people I’ve ever seen were all ordinary people. The stuff up on the silver screen … well … I love the silver screen … but no, it can’t compete. I’ve heard people say they saw this or that actress in *real* life and that they weren’t nearly that attractive. But I guess that for me it would be just the opposite. I’m sure I would find their *real*-life self more attractive.

As far as souls, I understand what you are saying, and its an interesting thought, but I am *really* talking about exterior appearances.

I understand this might sound pompous or insincere. And I certainly don't intend to say that I find beauty in ugliness (which after all would defeat the purpose of beauty).

But what I'm getting at is that often Hollywood or TV or glossy magazines present us with an image that is so unflawed, so perfect, that it's lost something. I can't make a connection with it. It's too cold and steely and perfect.

A book that really made a huge impact on me, as it helped me understand my own feelings in this regards, was a small little book called "Wabi-Sabi: for Artists, Designers, Poets & Philosophers"

You can read about it here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1880656124

It's a wonderful book.

I've lived in Japan for 15 years, after having grown up in America, and that book really helped me appreciate one of the better sides of Japan.

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...