Friday, October 30, 2009

Fairytales In Siberia

Thank heaven for Terry Pratchett
when I feel down, after reading A
Song in Siberia, wondering where
these wonderful people have gone
I read on page 11 of Carpe Jugulum:

‘Agnes sang in harmony with herself, NOT
with her mirror reflection as she would end
up singing a duet with Mr Bluebird then a
flamethrower would be the only release’
in spite of feeling depressed

I burst out laughing, the infinite cheek to
depict my beloved Mary Poppins in such a
way - but whatever he does, he cannot ex-
tinguish the joy I find in fairytales, I suspect
Song in Siberia is another one such

The authors describe a horrible life, women
with eight or nine children, the horror of that
idea! - suffering hunger and deprivation and
willingly taunting atheist while increasing
in peace and joy

I also cannot give up my beliefs in spirit and
soul and life after death and virtue and love
but I could NEVER imagine having so many
kids, inculcating strict discipline and finding
my joy in the Bible only

I never try to convince others to follow my
ideas, religions always want people to live
in loving groups, I prefer being alone, want
to read thousands of books, study a million
stories - They are described as happy

With their love and integrity met by persecution
I hate being rejected for my convictions, never
enjoy ridicule by my fellow-men, inner religious
fire never burns in me, I want to be free
and wish freedom for all others

Free from pressure by religion and atheism alike
free to follow my inner convictions and dreams
without obeisance to the opinions of others,
these persecuted Christians were saints -
I would have prayed for death

Were I in their place!

No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...