Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Not a Musical Universe

*

Resist the temptation to do anything under
duress, my guru declares; wonderful - no
form of duress has ever tempted me, it al-
ways is a horrible duty ending in tragedy

If you can get away with not doing it, first
imagine what it would feel like to have it
done, spend a day to see it completed in
a way that pleases you, then take action

It will be a lot easier – there is the problem
I can’t imagine myself doing translation work
in a pleasing way unless I can change it to
state things in another way - meticulously

Following the source text is an offence against
rhythm and sound, violating the laws of music
feels worse than producing lines that are
rejected by Puritans who want to see

A faithful rendition of the original curt, offensive
staccato tone or irritating drone or litany of pitiful
complaints, admitting no changes to grammar
and terms dictated by rhythm and melody

My poor mind cannot understand how this works
and simply gives up, the only thing that counts is
sound - but this is not a musical universe…
*

*

No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...