Thursday, May 5, 2022

Locus Iste A Deo Factus Est

[Memoirs]

 https://youtu.be/iUGBoR__nnA


When I first heard the choir sing, I listened enraptured,

the hauntingly beautiful piece with its Incipit “Locus iste

a Deo factus est” continued “inestimable sacramentum,

irreprehensibilis est” and these Latin words heightened

 

The mystic character of the spiritual music meaning “This

place was made by God” and that is how the auditorium

felt to me as the choir sounded divine in my ears - ever

since then it seemed sacrilege to perform worldly pieces

 

In our university auditorium because the sacred motet

with its carefully calculated proportions and the elegant

symmetry of a great medieval cathedral, has been firmly

entrenched in my mind as the hallmark of university life

 

“Locus Iste”, sacred motet = piece of music - composed by

Anton Bruckner in 1869, Incipit = beginning. Locus iste a Deo

factus est, inestimable sacramentum, irreprehensibilis est.

 

This place was made by God, a priceless sacrament,

free from all defects/without reproach/beyond reproof.

No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...