Monday, May 23, 2022

The Best Energy Dance [Rev]

[Diary Notes]

Doing the laundry on a Monday morning is fun

when a warm sun is there shining in glory, but

when it is cold like today, and the wind trying to

freeze my flesh, it is suddenly a heavy chore &

definitely no fun anymore, I drink endless cups

of tea and wonder where supernatural entities

 

Have gone, I entertained them in the office so

guardian angels wouldn’t get bored & wander

off, my dad gave non-stop directions as I was

driving when he sat next to me, he was afraid

my guardian angels would take a break when

he was there, this morning I’m moving slowly

 

Amira is singing Plaisir d’Amour - yeah, that’s

not happening anytime soon, definitely not the

chagrin-bit - I have too much to do, when the

nostalgic and sad notes of Ennio Morricone’s

Your Love is sung I can only sigh, not today,

yesterday when Brad Pitt adorned the screen

 

It was a different thing, but then he was killed

in the shock of my life, whoever heard of him

dying in a movie, sacrilege, his most attractive

feature is that he never dies - just like James

Bond, I love any actor playing the role - he is

immortal as Bond living in his purpose-made

 

Customized universe where Q was briefed on

exactly what gadget Bond will need next and

yet I can’t complain, when I was unhappy at

work in apartheid South Africa the world was

changed, we voted in 1994 to make Mandela

our President and I got a host of new African

 

Colleagues who liked my noise and sang Nkosi

Sikelel iAfrika and Kumbaya with me, we even

tried Tula Baba, Dingaka Lullaby and I taught

them to sing Doris Brash’s ‘Die Lappop’ & they

taught me Miriam Makeba’s ‘Click Song’ - my

brother Peter Pan sourly remarked I claimed

 

The universe was changed for me and that is

too much for him to believe - but I’m happy -

who cares if it is just a fantasy, it worked and

my colleague Teresa took me on cultural trips

where a Sangoma chased evil spirits ululu-ing*

and a Zulu troupe danced the night away; with

 

These happy memories I do my own version of

a Zulu dance I remember & the day grows warm

& now hanging wet things on a line becomes the

best energy dance I’ve done in a very long time!


Ululation

Ululation, from Latin ululo, is a long, wavering, high-pitched vocal sound resembling a howl with a trilling quality. It is produced by emitting a high pitched loud voice accompanied with a rapid back and forth movement of the tongue and the uvula.

No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...