Tuesday, April 5, 2022

Grow Ecstatic Yourself

 

Teach me to write a story, the Little Prince pleaded 

with Saint-Exupéry, One along the simple lines of Paul 

Gallico - the face turning towards the Little Prince was 

anguished however: I have lost all motivation, enthusiasm 

& incentive my dear - but the Little Prince was not to be 

discouraged and plaintively repeated: Please teach me 


To write a story; the worthy author pulled himself upright 

and took up his baton and started to rise as he spoke,

My dear Little Prince, I used to be a great Philosopher, 

teaching young men to face death in the trenches and 

expanding their minds while I created lyrical lines that 

brought joy to many an ear - speaking while conducting 


An orchestra playing soft background melodies to colour 

his lecture - And then I promoted myself to becoming a

teacher of literature, guiding young people towards writing 

politics and sweet things so men could woe maidens and 

romance, though not real, would not die - but then - here 

his baton floundered - I lost the love of my youth, my dear 


Anice, and the dreams in my heart disappeared, a black 

cloud had descended upon me, I shouted my wild anguish 

to the four ends of the earth and the angels trembled in 

fear, I descended into hell and fell into the devil's hands - 

then slowly a wonderful lady called Helen - not of Troy, 

but a Marie Rose, helped me get up again, she made 


Me strong again, though there lodged a shard in my heart,

it kept bleeding until aneurisms made walking impossible 

and operations but partly restored movement - today I am 

broken - the Little Prince listened with a solemn face and 

at the end commented: I can see your disappointment 

injured your life force, you are still losing life's essence - 


But never fear, I am here & you are a teacher, teach me 

to write a story by writing a story for me - and you'll see,

soon you will delight in your own power and glory and 

by making me happy, you will grow ecstatic yourself!


No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...