Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Main Drawback Of Opera Today

Amira sang the long lines of La Vergine degli Angeli

with consummate ease, awakening my interest in

the opera “La Forza Del Destino” by Verdi: I read

The Guardian reviews of three performances and

the comments of witty members of the public; may

I present my findings for your entertainment here:

 

The main drawback of opera today is no costumes,

no scenery - it is boring - & add Verdi’s implausible,

sprawling, fatalistic tragedy of poor decision-making

and bitter comedy requiring vocal weight which is to

be delivered delicately; then Leonora disappears after

Act 2 returning in Act 5 to be killed in artificial tragedy

 

No amount of passionate delivery or the performance

of mean-spirited Melitone as sardonic and funny can

save this uneven play, the audience is seized by Don

Carlo’s vigorous malice, shuddering under the attack

of implausible coincidence; no way, stay away I say….

 

No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...