Tuesday, April 26, 2022

Symphonies Are Ever So Much Better

“La Forza Del Destino”

 

An Opera by Verdi – such a convoluted story

of blood, revenge and gory death, I have not

yet been able to extract a moral from the grave

proceedings that shock a normal person by 

 

Its emphasis on subterfuge and insistence on

defending the family’s honour by killing, to the

point of a brother stabbing his sister while he

lay dying – it is late at night and not the best

 

Time to reflect on the meaning of life, much

less on the lack of verisimilitude or reality in

Verdi’s operas, I have not found an aria I love

except “La Vergine degli Angeli” sung by Amira

 

All the rest just leave me cold and disappointed

by the lack of resonance in my mind and heart -

I doubt myself – where is the enchantment that

I can read into a text – where is the delight in

 

Music opera can bring – I conclude my music

teacher was right when she said she detested

opera, symphonies are ever so much better…

No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...