Monday, April 25, 2022

Raw Emotions Infusing And Inspiring

Rigoletto’s Daughter Gilda Maria Callas

 Gualtier Maldè


After listening to Maria Callas singing this aria

for more than 8 years I decided to branch out

and test drive other sopranos singing this also,

without naming these other opera delights I

listened and rejoiced more and more, there is

no-one with the same rawness in her voice

 

No-one so strong whose high notes shatter

my heart with the strength of electric cables

pulling my breast apart and letting the tears

run, knowing Gilda is Rigoletto’s daughter &

he has messed up her life by concealing her

from the world and the courtiers think she is

 

His lover – what a mess - what a recipe for

disaster - Gilda falls prey to the degenerate

Duke of Mantua and gives her life to save

this unfaithful man - the story is grotesque,

the horror is real, only Maria Callas who

knew pain all her life can play this role with

 

Her raw emotions infusing and inspiring her

overpowering, enchanting, amazing voice -

only Maria Callas can sing this to perfection:

her last high note the death roll of my heart

 

GILDA

Gualtier Maldè… name of the man I love,

be thou engraved upon my lovesick heart!

 Beloved name, the first to move

the pulse of love within my heart,

thou shalt remind me ever

of the delights of love!

In my thoughts, my desire

will ever fly to thee,

and my last breath of life

shall be, beloved name, of thee.

Taking a lantern, she walks up the steps to the terrace.

Gualtier Maldè!

 

Meanwhile, Marullo, Ceprano, Borsa and other courtiers have appeared in the road, armed and masked, they watch Gilda as she enters the house.

 Beloved name, etc.

 BORSA

There she is.

 CEPRANO

Look at her!

 CHORUS

Oh, isn't she lovely!

 MARULLO

She looks like a fairy or an angel.

 CHORUS

So that's Rigoletto's mistress!

 BORSA, MARULLO, CEPRANO, CHORUS

Oh, isn't she lovely!

No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...