Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Dreaming Humanity Shall Sing Together

 

We sang “O Christus Diepst Verlange” at school and the

sacred melody changed the hall into a cathedral which, to

me, became my inner sanctuary, where songs dedicated to

Our Lord are playing on an endless loop to succour me when

 

Life becomes overwhelming, when I was offered the gift of a

song book called Cantharmonie by a kind believer visiting

from the Congo I was enchanted to discover all my childhood

favourites in the book because we shared the same melodies

 

And I could sing along with French-speaking believers, when

I first went to the German Lutheran Church I was enamoured

of German originals of hymns in Afrikaans, as I discovered

the French versions my world expanded to include a new and

 

Unexpected source of joy, confirming the absolute necessity

to learn various languages to enjoy singing the Lord’s glory

in every possible and probable way – while I keep dreaming

humanity shall sing together in amazing new & improbable

 

Ways, as yet impossible, some glorious day…

 

O Christus Diepst Verlange – Redempteur Adorable

Strophe 1

1. Rédempteur adorable sur la croix attaché,

Traité comme un coupable,

Brisé pour mon péché,

Ton angoisse suprême, ta douleur, ton tourment

Me disent : « Vois, je t'aime,

J'ai pris ton châtiment.

 

Strophe 2

2. Abandonné du Père, dans mon âme troublé,

Buvant la coupe amère pour ton iniquité,

De l'éternelle flamme, mon amour te sauva,

Je mourus pour ton âme, pécheur, à Golgotha.

 

Strophe 3

3. Le sang de mes blessures,

Ma couronne de Roi,

Toutes ces meurtrissures,

Comprends-le, c'est pour toi !

J'ai subi ta souffrance, j'ai porté ta langueur,

Contemple en assurance ton grand libérateur. »

 

Strophe 4

4. Ton amour me réclame,

Me voici, cher Sauveur !

Prends mon corps et mon âme

Pour prix de ta douleur.

Oui, mon âme ravie désormais ne veut plus

Que vivre de ta vie, à ta gloire, ô Jésus.

No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...